Thursday, July 20, 2006

Article: Ideally Bad, or, The Banality of Her Badness

I admit, I've always been somewhat fascinated and horrified by Svetlana Raznatovic. Kind of like the way people are in turn fascinated and horrified by a car accident. You know you shouldn't look, you don't want to look, but of course-you look and once you look, you can't stop looking.
Maybe it has to with trying the mesh in my mind the pop-tart, silicon sex symbol, turbofolk icon with the war criminal's wife, mafia princess; who is living large thanks to her late husband's talents for murdering and looting as well as her own "musical" talents. (Too be perfectly honest-I did listen to a Ceca song, just for the heck of it. I couldn't understand a word she was saying, and her voice wasn't exactly A caliber, but the tune was very catchy. In fact, I think I found myself humming the tune more times than I care to remember.)
It is almost as if it is hard to believe that someone so popular and famous could also be so disturbing.

Anyways, I found this great blog on B92 that discussed the cult like phenomenon that is a "Ceca" concert.

Yeah, I know technically it is not about Bosnia, but it is a well written article.


Ideally Bad, or, The Banality of Her Badness

No comments: