Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Articles: War Crime Roundup

Serbia investigating murder of 700 Bosniak civilians in Eastern Bosnia in 1992.
Click Here

Bosnian Minister urges action on video which shows war crimes committed against Serbs.
Click Here

Some background info on the new tape and a little bit about Gotovina and "Operation Storm"
click here

10 comments:

Srebrenica Massacre said...

'The footage shows a Bosnian commander, Atif Dudakovic, apparently ordering the burning of a Serb village.'

If burning a village is a war crime, then everybody should go to Hague, including American military.

The question is: DOes the footage show Atif Dudakovic ordering killings of civilians. The answer is NO.

There was a footage criculating on the internet about Gen Atif Dudakovic. I can't recall the location of that footage, but will consult Bosnian forums - maybe they know where can I find it. The footage shows Bosnian Army soldiers re-capturing Sanski Most in 1995 (Operation SANA?), hugging Serb civilians and telling them not to be afraid, they are protected and nobody will harm them. I think the Operation was called SANA 95, I will lookup video, maybe I find them.

Srebrenica Massacre said...

Shaina, I am on break at the office now, try this video, I don't know, maybe it's this one, I haven't viewed it yet, will do when I come home

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8788251022691350970&q=label%3Aakcija+sanskimost+2

There is lots of Serbian propaganda videos at Google. Beware. They use videos of Taliban beheadings in Afghanistan and portray them as Bosniak crimes against Serbs. Beware what you find there.

Although, the video I gave you was produced in 1996 as a documentary by Radio-Television Sarajevo by using archival documentation of the 5th Corps.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8788251022691350970&q=label%3Aakcija+sanskimost+2

Srebrenica Massacre said...

Shaina, I am on break at the office now, try this video, I don't know, maybe it's this one, I haven't viewed it yet, will do when I come home

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8788251022691350970&q=label%3Aakcija+sanskimost+2

There is lots of Serbian propaganda videos at Google. Beware. They use videos of Taliban beheadings in Afghanistan and portray them as Bosniak crimes against Serbs. Beware what you find there.

Although, the video I gave you was produced in 1996 as a documentary by Radio-Television Sarajevo by using archival documentation of the 5th Corps.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8788251022691350970&q=label%3Aakcija+sanskimost+2

Srebrenica Massacre said...

Shaina, I am on break at the office now, try this video, I don't know, maybe it's this one, I haven't viewed it yet, will do when I come home

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8788251022691350970&q=label%3Aakcija+sanskimost+2

There is lots of Serbian propaganda videos at Google. Beware. They use videos of Taliban beheadings in Afghanistan and portray them as Bosniak crimes against Serbs. Beware what you find there.

Although, the video I gave you was produced in 1996 as a documentary by Radio-Television Sarajevo by using archival documentation of the 5th Corps.

Shaina said...

According to some posts on Justwatch discussion group; there is some doubt over whether Dudakovic will be sent to the Hague; since the formal indictment process ended last year.

If anything, he will probably be tried by a Bosnian court which tends to take on less serious offenses and war crimes.

Of course Dudakovic is not the only person to allegedly order the burning of a village and of course there are thousands of people who have done far worse in the war. But burning a village is still a war crime (wanton destruction not justified by military necessity).

There is also some constroversy over the tape which allegedly shows the killing of a Serb.
Serbian sources say the perpetrators were members of a Croatian division during the Operation Storm.
Croatian sources say the tape is spliced; and the perpetrator is really a Bosnian troop.

Owen said...

Shaina, as you say whether a war crime was committed is a matter of the provisions of the Geneva Conventions.

I don't know anything about the specific killing referred to but I do certainly remember at the time of Operation Storm the Croatian Helsinki Group reported a number of instances of Elderly Serbs who had been left behind or remained of their own free will being killed by soldiers belonging to the Croatian forces.

Srebrenica Massacre said...

"wanton destruction not justified by military necessity"

We don't know whether or not it was justified. Destruction of property is just a normal element of any war. I couldn't care less about enemy destroying my house or my village, as long as there is no human casualties.

Bg anon said...

Well lets hope that these war crimes if true are punished.

What is beginning to worry me is the way that the Croatian media is shifting its stance away from denial to now blaming a Bosnian Muslum unit. Too convinient.

Either they (there is more than one tape) are fakes or not. We have seen the denial then passing the blame tacic before.

And have to say I am a little disapointed by the general reaction from the Croatian public. I thought they had moved on from the 'every crime we comitted was in response to crimes committed against us' stage. I suppose people still dont understand that citing others and the bad things they do isnt an excuse to act in the same way.

If you check out the latest Feral Tribune you can see just how much hatred there still is against Serbs. (Yes I truly wish this wasnt true and in fact I dont believe its as bad as Feral says).

Owen according to the Serbian NGO VERITAS 200 (Serb) civilians were murdered during Storm. Think the Croatian Helsinki Committee cites about half that.

Shaina said...

While there is a lot of attention on the crimes allegedly committed by the Croatian forces during "Operation Storm" and the destruction of property allegedly committed by Dudakovic's troops; I also think it is a positive development that the killing of 700 Bosniaks in 1992 is being investigated.
Hopefully if the allegations are true, Gruijic and Popovic will be brought to trial and face justice.

I still find it amazing that such a large scale murder (700 civilians in one month) has taken this long to be investigated; although surely there must have been evidence of the mass killings earlier.

Owen said...

Dan, it's dangerous to say that anything is "just a normal element of any war". Deliberately destroying homes is not the same as incidental damage. Where it's part of a deliberate attempt to intimidate the civilian population or to make its survival difficult or as part of a campaign of ethnic cleansing it may not even be just a war crime, it may be an element in genocide.