Monday, September 11, 2006

Bosnia Divided We Stand

PBS has a new documentary on Bosnia, entitled "Divided We Stand." It focuses on the post war generation and their ideas, plans and thoughts about the future.
A major focus of the film is on a group of youths in Mostar who get together to pick someone to make a statue of-someone who is acceptable to all ethnic groups.

On the PBS site there is an 8 minute video clip where at the end the reveal who the statue will honor (great choice btw ;) ).

Bosnia: Divided We Stand. (Includes background articles on Dayton, Ethnic Division taking place and Videoclip.

2 comments:

Srebrenica Genocide said...

well, I think that media is focusing only on bad things; yes, people are divided, but not as divided as media portrays them. Mostar is not a divided city, you can freely go to each part of the city, it's as normal as in Sarajevo, young people are still having fun, they don't care about ethnic backgrounds and stuff. My friend from Mostar says it's the situation is as normal as ever and there are no deep divisions among ordinary people.

Bg anon said...

I dont pretend to know Bosnia well enough since I have only been a couple of times in my life.

But I do get the national Bosnian TV station and Radio Television Republika Srpska and when have time read the Bosnian press.

I must admit the picture I am given is a depressing one generally. I think that the Kosovo problem is having a negative impact on Bosnia too.

I dont know Mostar but the impression I have been given on the town is that things are still far from good. But what is good is that people from that part of the world put the primary focus on the economy rather than ethnic issues.