In case, one day, God forbid, any of my readers are charged with war crimes, here are a few helpful hints of possible defenses that are not going to help you so much:
1. The Why Me Defense: "But there are worst war criminals who haven't been indicted/arrested yet! Why am I on trial?"
2. The Justification Defense: "Yes, we killed unarmed civilians and POWs, but their side also killed civilians, so that justfies us killing civilians..."
3. The "History Lesson Defense: "Well, back in 1300..."
4. The Paranoia Defense: "There's been an international, new world order conspiracy against us!" (Also helpful if you can bring to the stand numerous "academics" and "intellectuals" to varify your claims of a US-Papal-Martian conspiracy against you.
5. And, a new one that takes the cake for creativity: "Mladic was indicted for war crimes? When did this happen? I didn't know that. I only rented apartments for "womanizing" purposes!