Tuesday, December 09, 2008

60 years on, Genocide Convention Still Prompts Debate

Sixty years ago, the UN adopted the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. This week, historians, lawyers and politicians discussed the convention's future at a conference in The Hague.

2 comments:

Owen said...

I wish there'd been more media coverage but most of it seems to have been saved for the anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. There was five minutes discussion on BBC Radio 4 just before the 9 am news when Geoffrey Robertson observed that whatever its problems, the Convention had been effective right from the time of its adoption in 1948 when the Australian government abandoned its policy of aboriginal child fostering on realising that it fell within the scope of the Convention.

Daniel said...

As we commemorate 60th anniversaty of human rights, over 1,000 Serbian extremists have set up Srebrenica genocide denial hate group on Facebook calling for Bosnian Muslims to be roasted and placed into a sulfuric acid.

Reuters also covered the story, here is an update:

http://srebrenica-genocide.blogspot.com/2008/12/facebook-shuts-down-srebrenica-genocide.html